Active listening is a communication technique to confirm that both parties understand each other.
Why do we listen?Bearbeiten
· Out of interest
· Just to be polite
· Because we want to get to know a person
· Because we are forced to
· If I listen to you, you listen to me
· For educational reasons
· Because we are curious
· In order to solve a problem
How do we actively listen?Bearbeiten
· Phrases and filler words such as: I understand, mhm, aha, ok, What?, Really?, Yeah?, I agree, I see, sure
· Further questions: W-Questions
· Open body posture
· Paraphrasing (restating the same only with other words)
· Checking understanding: so, did I understand you correctly, that it is…..
· Having eye contact
Crib on how to listen activelyBearbeiten
· Look: maintain eye contact
· Inquire: ask (open) questions
· Summarizing: So what you're saying is…, let me sum this up….
· Take notes: in long conversations write down the keywords, but it is better to remember instead of writing everything down as this can be quite disruptive
· Encourage: use encouraging filler words and show interest
· Neutralize your own feelings: listen but see through other person´s eyes, do not judge